Wednesday, February 1, 2012

S.O.P.A. & P.I.P.A.


While browsing on my new Google Reader [a huge time-saver], I stumbled upon this post SOPA and PIPA Explained in an Infographic.  A few weeks ago, it was pretty hard to ignore the uproar over these two acts.  Despite efforts to read up on the issue, I still felt unclear about the ramifications as most articles offered vague, yet severe claims like censorship and unconstitutionality.

I found this post to provide easy-to-digest information on the topic.  The Infographic is an effective visual that explicitly outlines why these acts are unconstitutional, while the video offers an overview of past attempts at reform and of implications for the future.  If you are still curious about these proposals, I highly recommend taking a gander at this post.  As teachers and participants in online communities, I think it important for us to have a clear understanding of current policy regarding internet use for two reasons.  Firstly, we are role models for our students, so we must demonstrate how to act appropriately online.  Students need to be aware that legal issues, such as plagiarism and stealing [illegal downloading], apply online.  Secondly, we are advocates for technology, which is a role that should not be taken lightly.  Acts like SOPA and PIPA infringe on constitutional rights.  We must protect these rights by remaining informed and active, especially because the situation is predicted to worsen, according to Clay Shirky.

I do not want to spark a heated political rant, I just want to share this post and offer my opinion about why I find it meaningful for the education community.  From my understanding, these pieces of legislation will impose severe restraints and restrict everyone's ability to create, explore, and share online.  The inherent benefits of online learning and teaching are in jeopardy of being stripped away.  When considering the 'sugar-printed birthday cake' analogy offered by Shirky, the implications became increasingly real in my mind.  Will websites that share media files, like student reproductions of music/tv/film, be punished under these acts?  If so, could these laws discourage the use of technology in the classroom?

Image from: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-V8zIYUdaGKQ/Txu3oBI38mI/AAAAAAAAL0E/kxQD6rz1vLc/s1600/sopa-pipa-delayed-thumb-550xauto-81573.jpg

1 comment:

Maryanne said...

Thanks so much for sharing this post. I learned a lot from the infographic and the Clay Shirkey video.